Wednesday 29 September 2010

Deceiving Film Titles Module?!


Hello,

I come to you with a special blog featuring insightful words from Callum Savage. Knowing that I study film, and also sharing a liking to the film world, he thought it would be appropriate to raise my attention to the fault with the module system at Sussex University when it comes to Film Studies topics:

"You should discuss with Sussex to add an extra module on your course - Deceiving Film Titles:

- The Constant Gardener wasn't about a man tending to his lawn - There wasn't even a trowel in it!
- The Never Ending Story - IT ENDED!!! And don't even get me started on Never Ending Story Two!
- Cinderella Man - I thought it was going to be about a drag queen going to the ball or something...
- Monster Ball - There were no monsters in it. Plus I was kinda hoping to see a freakishly hideous monster testicle!

Won't mention what I thought when I heard the film titles "Full Frontal, Snatch and Shaft!

Why can't all film titles be like Snakes on a Plane or Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus??"
This would be such a fun module, don't you think? Just looking at film titles and discussing their relevance. Hitchcock seems to be spot on with his decision on what the films are called (Rear Window, The Birds, Psycho), but what about Michael Haneke? He likes to mess with your mind a bit. Innocently I went to watch a film of his called Funny Games, and unless you're mentally wrong in the head, there was no fun involved in the games he seemed to find amusing...

Good point Callum, I'm speaking with the Chancellor tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment